Monday, July 5, 2010

More Museums!

The museums in London are very large and have a lot to see. They are also conveniently located within a block of where I work. On Saturday, after all my wanderings to tourist attractions, I went to the science museum. I got there about 45 minutes before closing, so I did not have a lot of time, but I did walk through three exhibits: technology through the ages, history of mathematics and history of computing. All ones that I found very interesting! (I know that they may not be everybody's cup of tea.) They had many old computers and devices like this differential analyser :

It is really weird to think that this huge machine is what used to be required to take a complicated derivative that my hand-held TI-89 can compute!

Today, I went to work a bit early so that I could leave and see a bit of the Natural History Museum before it closed. The building itself is beautiful and HUGE.
Once again, since it was almost closing time I did not have much time to look around. So today I decided to look around the dinosaurs and then the human body exhibit. This giant sloth amused me greatly:

There is still so much for me to see in every museum! I think I am going to make a habit of going to work early a few days a week, so that I have a chance to see an exhibit or two each week.

Enjoy your holiday weekend, as it is not a holiday weekend here! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment