Saturday, July 3, 2010

Being a Tourist

Today was the first day where I had the whole day free for exploration! In the morning I tried to act like a local. I began my day by walking down the Thames for an hour, then turned around and walked back. Along the way in a garden there was an art display of Elephant statues. I wasn't allowed in, but they didn't seem to mind me taking pictures from the gate.


After my morning stroll, I visited a small fair at a local church just to see what it was like. It wasn't much to see, but it was fun to walk around and they had some live music.
In the afternoon I visited a bunch of tourist sites. I started by walking to the Wellington Arch and then wandering across to Buckingham Palace:


After that I wandered through St. James Park to Parliament, where Big Ben is located.


Then onward to Westminster Abbey.

A word to the wise: don't decide to walk to the tourist attractions if you live far away from them, especially when you have already walked a lot earlier in the day. After returning for the evening, I calculated the approximate distance I walked today, and it was over 10 miles...probably closer to 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment